LockApp.exe process is a part of Windows which is created by Microsoft Corporation. The main function of LockApp.exe is to present the lock screen overlay that is visible when you sign in the system. Whatever we see at the time of lock screen or signing in to the system like background image, date, time and other ‘quick status’ is because of LockApp.exe. It shows the things which we choose to see at the time of the lock screen.
Basically, LockApp.exe doesn’t work all the time. It only works at that time when we sign in to the system or we lock the screen by holding Win + L keys or clicking the “Lock” option in the Start menu.
What is LockApp.exe and Its Specification
LockApp.exe is a file which is located in
If you want to check its properties then visit the file location and then right-tap on LockApp.exe.
|Name of File
|Size of File
|3.4 Mega Bytes
|Location of File
|Name of Product
|Microsoft Windows OS
LockApp.exe is an application created by Microsoft Corporation for Windows 10 which is responsible for generating a graphical UI that overlays the lock screen. When you sign in into your system and lock the screen the background pictures, date, time, and status you see is because of LockApp.exe. The application is responsible to generate, maintain and update all the graphical interfaces on the lock screen.
The LockApp.exe application doesn’t work all the time it is accessible only when the lock screen overlays which means at the time of signing in or you manually lock the screen by pressing Windows + L keys.
Is LockApp.exe is safe or virus
LockApp.exe is extremely safe and there is no complaint about the viruses. Also, there is no report regarding any malicious activity. But sometimes hackers perform the malicious activity to harm your system.
So, if you want to certify that the LockApp.exe is a virus or not then you must check the information of LockApp.exe file by going to the Task Manager. Following are the steps you need to follow to perform the task:
- Firstly, hold the Ctrl+ Shift + Esc keys on your keyboard to launch Task Manager or Press Windows + S key to open a run box.
- Now, type Task manager in the box and press enter key.
- When you open the Task Manager then visit the Details tab. Search for the LockApp.exe and right-click on it and choose the option Open file location.
- If you find the system file location in the following folder
If in case the file is located in another location then you are in a problem. Your PC has got a virus or spyware and you need to fix it. For this, you need to use the antivirus software to fully scan your PC.
Here we are using Windows Defender to perform the scanning process. Following are some steps that should be followed for full system scanning:
- Firstly, hold Windows + R keys together to open a Run box and type ms-settings: windows defender and press enter key.
- A windows security page will open and tap on option named Virus & threat protection.
- After that tap on Scan options for the scanning process.
- Choose the full scan option among the given options and then tap on Scan now option given below.
Windows Defender will take few seconds to complete the scanning process and detect all the suspicious files and malware and delete it from your system to make your system free from viruses and other spyware.
But in case your system files get corrupted then it is suggested to use third-party antivirus software to fix the error. Windows Defender is not capable to detect the corrupted files in your system.
How To Remove LockApp.exe File
LockApp.exe consumes a high amount of memory of your system and starts working slowly at that time you have to disable LockApp.exe. It is required to remove the LockApp.exe if it takes a high CPU and GPU. It makes the sign-in process slower. To fix this issue you need to disable the LockApp.exe. When you disable the LockApp.exe then you won’t be able to see the backgrounds, date at the lock screen and you can see the sign-in prompt after the booting-up process. This makes the process quicker to sign in to your system.
Below mentioned are some steps that should be followed to disable the LockApp.exe from your system:
- Firstly, hold Windows + E keys together to open Explorer and go to the below location:
- After that search for the folder LockApp_cw5n1h2txyewy
- Right-tap on the folder name and change it to LockApp_cw5n1h2txyewy.backup
There is another method to disable LockApp.exe on your system. You can also disable LockApp by using Registry Editor. Following are the steps to use Registry Editor to disable LockApp.exe:
- Firstly, hold Windows + R keys together to open a Run box and type Regedit and press enter.
- In the Registry Editor window go to the below location:
- Find the AllowLockScreen option and double-click on it to change it and rename it as Value Data field to 0 from 1.
- At last click on OK to close the registry Window.
This article is all about LockApp.exe we have mentioned all the important aspects related to LockApp.exe. If you also want to disable the LockApp.exe for any reason you can now easily perform the task by following the given steps. I hope you would like this article and it would help you in guiding.